The Diabetes Education And Lifestyle Program
What’s the DEAL?
The Diabetes Education and Lifestyle (DEAL) Program is a comprehensive program offered through Baltimore Medical System that connects patients with prediabetes or and resources. The Diabetes Prevention Program and the Diabetes Management Program make up DEAL, providing an extension of the caring, convenient healthcare found at BMS.
Key Benefits of the DEAL Program
- Free of charge to enroll and participate
- Team approach to care – your primary care physician is involved every step of the way
- Access to a diabetes educator and clinical pharmacist to better manage your diabetes
- Easy and convenient – everything is incorporated into your current overall care
- Improve your quality of live so you can continue to do the things you love, with the people you love!
Diabetes Prevention Program
Decrease Your Diabetes Risk
If your blood sugar level is higher than normal, you have prediabetes – meaning you are at a greater risk of serious health problems including diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. With the help of Baltimore Medical System, you can enroll in a free program – the Diabetes Prevention Program – that helps you treat your prediabetes and make a lifestyle change with a lasting impact.
What is the Diabetes Prevention Program?
Once you have been identified by your primary care physician as prediabetic, the Diabetes Prevention Program works with you directly so you can learn how to manage your symptoms and prevent diabetes. The program includes:
- Face-to-face coaching session that help create lasting changes for diet and exercise
- Group sessions to find support, guidance, and tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Real-life advice and approaches for controlling your weight, eating healthier, and exercising
- Seamless coordination from your BMS team – including your primary care physician, community health workers, and the Diabetes Prevention Program team members
How to Enroll
If you are interested in enrolling in the program or want to learn more, please contact:
Pine Heights and St. Agnes Community Health Worker
Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm
443-703-3227 ext. 11023
Diabetes Management Program
Manage Your Diabetes
Living with uncontrolled diabetes? Baltimore Medical System’s Diabetes Management Program is a free healthcare service that can help you make the necessary changes to live a healthier, more comfortable lifestyle.
What is the Diabetes Management Program?
The Diabetes Management Program helps you control your diabetes by offering integrated diabetic services that enhance your usual primary care routine. When you join the Diabetes Management Program you will meet at least once a month, learning how to make realistic changes around diet, exercise, and weight management. In addition, you will:
- Meet with the BMS diabetes care team – including a diabetes educator, community health worker, and pharmacist
- Receive help with diet, exercise, and medication management
- Coordinate with a BMS nurse to ensure all appointments are made with other medical professionals – including podiatrists, eye doctors, and more
- Learn if you qualify for free food distribution
How to Enroll
For any questions, or to enroll in the Diabetes Management Program, please contact:
Robin Martinez, CDCES, FNP-BC
The DEAL Program is available to patients at the following locations:
900 S. Caton Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21229